Our Home and Its History
The Cambridge Islamic College is housed at 58 Sturton Street. Acquired in December 2015, the site and building was formerly a Methodist Church, built in 1954. The ancillary outbuildings date from 1901 with the church hall constructed in c.1934.
In adapting the site for its uses, the College will maintain the character and features of the premises. After modest renovation, the former church hall will serve as the College’s main lecture theatre, retaining its original layout, including the elevated stage.
Lying half a mile of both Cambridge city centre and the city’s rail station, the Cambridge Islamic College is situated in a popular and convenient location. It is also a short walking distance of Mill Road, the busy, cosmopolitan street home to many independent businesses including halal stores as well as two mosques. Being in close proximity to world-renowned University of Cambridge allows students and staff to benefit from its research and library facilities, with all residential CIC students being provided with a library card granting them access to the University Library, which houses over seven million books and 1.5 periodicals.
Teaching at the College takes place at its multi-purpose campus, which is adjoined by the women’s hostel at 56 Sturton Street. The College’s on-site facilities are detailed below.
- A constantly-growing library, stocked with all the course material as well as a rich variety of Islamic literature
- The main lecture theatre, which also functions as two classrooms.
- A number of classrooms, on both the ground and first floors of the building.
- Wudhu facilities.
- A spacious garden to the rear of the building, which will be used for outdoor functions and as a reading space.
- The small, cosy canteen provides refreshments for students and staff and can also be used for food preparation for small functions.
- The administration of the college is handled from a number of offices around the main site. The management sit in offices, which are adjacent to the lecture hall on either side.